One of the most scariest request you can get is to recover a crashed hard drive when it is no longer readable as you can not copy off the user’s data. Fortunately, the procedure for this is very simple.
1. Locate a similar bootable hard drive.
2. Make this hard drive the Primary in the computer.
3. Make the unreadable hard drive a slave in the computer.
4. Visit the Disk Management Screen.
5. Make sure that the disk is NOT showing offline.
6. Launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator.
7. Execute the following command CHKDSK /F /R D: (where D: is the slave)
The process will take up to 3 hours depending on the size of the drive.
When the drive is readable, copy the user’s data by doing it folder by folder.
By doing so, you will be warned which folder has a corrupted file.